The Design Pool Guide to Shopping SmallKristin Crane
More than ever, this year we plan on shopping small this holiday season. We believe strongly that when local businesses thrive, so do our communities. Social media has made it so easy for the definition of community to extend beyond just our own zip code. To keep us from buying everything in our Instagram feed, we decided to round up a couple of our favorite online shops and artists to share with all of you. We hope you’ll check them out and shop small this year!
Shopping Small Instagram Picks
As our online community has grown on Instagram, so have the shopping options. Some of these places are definitely on our list for when we get to travel again in person. Until then, all of them have easy platforms for online shopping.
- Edge of Urge: A eclectic shop in Raleigh, North Carolina selling clothing and home items from independent designers and makers, as well as items that are fun and irreverent.
- Kreatelier: A fabric concept store in Providence, Rhode Island with beautifully curated items for the home. They also offer interior design and upholstery services.
- Maiwa: A major resource for dyeing enthusiasts, Maiwa is so much more than that. They also have a School of Textiles and an incredible shop full of items made by artisans around the world. They carry a wide range of items for the home, as well as clothing and jewelry.
- International Folk Art Market: After a trip to Santa Fe specifically to shop at this market in person, I have always dreamed of going back. This year, the in-person market was canceled, but in its place is an online auction and market from November 28 – December 6.
- Knockando Woolmill: Knockando Woolmill in Scotland is another shop I discovered while traveling. A mill that has been operating for over 200 years, they produce exquisite traditional and contemporary wool products.
Speaking of Instagram, we are big fans of Paula Becker’s Instagram still life series and are thrilled to see we can now buy prints from this series online. Massachusetts-based gallery and store Riverside Art recently launched a new service printing high-quality art prints, on-demand. Paula is one of ten featured artists on their site. You can view the entire collection here.
Graphic Image Flooring
It’s no secret that we love the folks at Graphic Image Flooring. They just launched a brand new website to make it even easier to order vinyl flooring with Design Pool patterns.
And, of course, we hope you’ll check out our new online shop, Domanda Design. We love the possibilities print-on-demand technology offers and are happy to be able to offer Design Pool designs directly to consumers on bedding, pillows, bags, and more!
Whether you’re shopping in person in your local community, or online from independent retailers, supporting small businesses makes sure your community is thriving in the future. Do you have a favorite online shop we should check out? Please let us know in the comments!